- The Election Commission has been receiving complaints regarding false information in affidavits filed by some candidates.
- This is a matter of concern as it adversely affects the rights of voters and impinges on the purity of electoral process.
- Election Commission has decided to now scrutinise the complaints received against candidates who furnish false information in their affidavits filed at the time of nomination, and refer the matter to relevant investigative agencies on case to case basis.
- In case the investigating authorities find the candidate has lied about her/his affidavit, the Commission will publicise the information in the interest of transparency.
- However, people can still approach courts with their complaints on such matters.